Time for a little foray into the Davenport side of the family. The picture below will be my starting point. This appears to be a reunion of some kind which would have been in Rhode Island probably around 1930 give or take a few years. The picture had names on the back written by my dad (Frank H Davenport II) which I note as underlined words below the picture. There are 14 adults (only 13 names, probably since there is someone hidden on the left side) and four children.
Notably missing is the husband (or should I say former husband) of Mary Ann Hyde whose name is William Edgar Davenport. More on this man, my great grandfather, later.
Back Row Left to Right:
- Arthur Rodgers and “Auntie” Martha Rodgers (this couple appears to be family friends in Pawtucket, RI) and in fact the 1925 census has Charles Arthur Davenport as next door neighbors to the Rodgers.
- Hidden person behind Martha Rodgers (not named on back). My guess it is Charles Lawton who married Mabel Davenport and she is next in the picture.
- Auntie Mabel (McSparren) Lawton (Mabel L Davenport) b. 1886 in RI
- Aunt Lillian (Lillian Lucy Davenport) b. 12 Sep 1889 in RI, d. 20 Apr 1957 in CA
- Earl Quincy (Husband of Ethel)
- Arthur Davenport (Charles Arthur Davenport), b.22 Jan 1899 in RI, d.21 Feb 1959 probably in RI
- Ethel Quincy (Ethel Burton Davenport) b.17 Mar 1894 in RI, d. Nov 1979 in RI
- Robert Davenport (Robert Darling Davenport), b.15 Nov 1907 in RI, d.17 May 1981 in CA
- Mildred (Heywood) Davenport (Mildred L Heywood, spouse of Robert) holding Robert (Buster), Not sure who “Buster” is. But Ancestry shows Robert and Mildred had a son born in 1934 in White Bear Lake, Minnesota named Heywood Grant Davenport.
- Grandma Davenport (Mary Ann Hyde) b. 18 Jan 1863 in England, d. 20 May 1939 in Pawtucket RI.
- Uncle Arthur’s wife (?), (Mary Louise Otis) b. abt 1904 in RI, d. abt 1972
- Daddy (FHD), (Frank Howard Davenport I), b. 9 Mar 1884 in RI, d. 31 Jul 1945 in St. Paul, Minnesota. In 1930 he would have been married 11 years with 5 children (including my dad born in 1929), so I assume he traveled alone for this reunion, if that is what this is.
- John, (John Milton Davenport) b. 5 Nov 1905 in RI, d. 20 Jan 1955 in CA
Front Row Left to Right:
- Priscilla Quincy (Priscilla F. Quincy) b. Jul 1924
- Betty Lawton (Elizabeth H. Lawton) b. 1921, d. 1990
- Phyliss Quincy (Phyliss Gifford. Quincy) b. abt. 1926
- Uncle Arthur’s Son (Charles Arthur Davenport Jr.) b. 24 Sept 1924 in RI, d. 29 Jul 1990